The Materials Testing Laboratory within the Building and Energy Technologies Department serves as the central laboratory for physical and mechanical testing of cement, concrete, masonry components and general materials of construction. It also functions as a quality control laboratory for on-site field testing and NDT testing of reinforced concrete structures. Research requirements are achieved through mechanical testing, and other supplementary testing such as physical, thermal, chemical and micro structural analysis to evaluate integrity and durability of building and composite materials.
Research and Working Experience:
- Quality control assessment of physical and mechanical characteristics of fabricated building materials.
- Survey and assessment of damaged and deteriorated structures.
- Preparation of technical reports and quality compliance certificates.
- Evaluation of the thermal properties and characteristics of systems and construction materials.
- Evaluation of failure cases of industrial plants structure component.
Equipment and Facilities:
- Universal Testing Machine
- Thermal Conductivity Machine
- Colour Measurement Apparatus
- Humidity Curing Chambers
- Accelarated Weathering Machine
- Rapid Chloride Tester
- Die Cutters
- Electronic Balances of different capacities and sensitivities
- Apparatuses for physical and chemical testing of fresh and hardened cement and concrete
- Apparatuses for physical and mechanical testing of soil and aggregates