WRD maintains standard research facilities for water and wastewater projects, and a number of unique facilities designed and manufactured specifically for state-of-the-art study of groundwater sampling and on-site analysis, desalination and wastewater technologies. These facilities are located both at KISR’s headquarters in Shuweikh, and research stations in Doha and Sulaibiya. They include:
Hydrology and Water Management
- GeoProbe research vehicle for collection of soil samples to a depth of 30 m;
- Water sampling truck;
- Hydro chemical Laboratory for full analysis of water and soil, equipped with an autoclave, an automatic biological oxygen demand (BOD) analyzer, an incubator, a spectrophotometer, and spectrofluorophotometer, a Fourier-transform infrared (FTIR) spectrometer, and a total organic carbon (TOC) autoanalyzer;
- Physical Modeling Laboratory for groundwater treatment technologies and physical modeling;
- Soil Laboratory;
- Geographical Information System (GIS) unit with a hydrological database for Kuwait including groundwater models; and
- Numerical models.
Doha Research Plant (Desalination)
- Two complete Reverse Osmosis (RO) units, 600 m3/d
- Three different types of seawater feed
- Multistage Flash Distillation (MSF) – a unique corrosion test unit
- Chemical Laboratory
- Electrical, Mechanical and Instruments Workshop
- Infrastructure – R&D Halls, drainage system, electrical supply including compressed air, control panels.
Sulaibiya Research Plant (Wastewater)
- Experimental ponds
- Chemical and biological and secondary treated wastewater feeds
- Raw, primary and secondary treated wastewater feeds
- Pilot units for wastewater studies
The Water Resources Program at KISR offers comprehensive services covering every facet of water resources:
- Project identification studies,
- Feasibility studies,
- Site appraisal studies,
- Geotechnical investigations,
- Preliminary layout and design development,
- Preliminary implantation programs,
- Preliminary cost estimation,
- Cash-flow forecasting,
- Financing arrangement assistance, and
- Liaison with government, commercial and community organizations.
- Detailed planning;
- Detailed site investigations;
- Preparation of detailed layouts, designs and specifications;
- Preparation of tender documentations;
- Prequalification of tenderers;
- Tender requesting;
- Tender evaluation;
- Preparation of detailed cost estimates;
- Preparation of detailed programs; and
- Preparation of detailed budgets and cash-flow forecasts.
- Field analysis,
- Field sampling,
- Supervision of drilling,
- In situ groundwater analysis,
- Preparation of master schedules,
- Supervision of construction,
- Administration of contracts,
- Quality assurance programs,
- Cost-control programs,
- Site safety programs, and
- Document management
The Water Resources Division offers comprehensive technical consultations and laboratory investigations for issues related to water and wastewater. Including short-term studies and assessments, water and wastewater quality analyses, and water and wastewater related management advice for both the private and the government sectors, as well as for individuals.
The Water Resources Division offers comprehensive raining programs that can be specifically tailored to suit specific needs. The highly qualified staff is fully conversant with all facts of modern water resources assessment, research and management issues, and application of state-of-the-art techniques and technologies.
Tailored training can be organized either on the client’s premises or at KISR, depending on equipment and facilities needed. For more information about this program please click here.