Analytical Lab Services
Over the years, KISR has developed a range of facilities and business support services, which are now available to clients.
KISR’s analytical laboratories have been providing analytical support and services to KISR's applied research programs and to many private and governmental agencies since 1977. Five laboratories i.e., Wet Chemistry, Chromatography, Spectroscopy, Physical Chemistry and Trace Metals, support research and development, and introduce new analytical methods to KISR’s research centers.
Water Quality Analysis
KISR’s laboratories are well-equipped to handle the analysis of potable water, seawater, municipal and industrial wastewater, power plant water, and water for agricultural water.
• Groundwater for hydrological studies.
• Water from desalination of seawater by reverse osmosis.
Air particulates, water, marine biota and sediments are analyzed for pollutants including:
• Trace organic compounds such as polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs), pesticides, PCBs and other volatile and semivolatile organic pollutants.
• Trace heavy metals, e.g., Hg, Cd, Pb and As.
• Weathered crude oil and tar balls are analyzed for the characterization of oil spills.
• Exhaust and stack gases are analyzed.
• Sewage waste is characterized.
Air Quality Analysis
The Air Quality Program (AQP) provides analytical services for various hazardous substances in ambient air samples. Also, AQP is well equipped with state-of-the-art equipment that can measure air pollution levels in indoor or outdoor settings. Services offered by AQP include:
• Volatile Organic Compounds in air samples in canisters using the Gas Chromatography/Flame Ionization Detector (GC/FID)
• Trace metal analysis using the Inductively Coupled Plasma/Mass Spectrometry (ICP/MS)
• Noise levels using Type 1 Sound Level Meters
• Continuous ambient air analysis by the three Mobile Air Pollution Laboratories (MAPLs)
• Total Suspended Particulates (TSP), PM10, PM2.5, and PM1 measurements using gravitational (i.e., high volume air samplers) and optical equipment
• Continuous indoor air pollution measurements.
• All the above measurements can be coupled with meteorological conditions measurements through either portable weather stations or the fixed meteorological stations belonging to Kuwait National Meteorological Network (KNMN).
Analyzing the quality of fresh food, processed food and beverages is another important laboratory service provided at KISR. Such analyses cover essential components of food such as protein, amino acids, vitamins, fatty acids, sugars and metal nutrients. Food contaminants, especially toxic substances such as pesticide residues, trace heavy metals, mycotoxins, drug residues and chemical additives, can also be determined.
• Pesticide residues and PCBs in Kuwaiti food dishes.
• Heavy metals and PAH contaminents in food.
• Fructose, sucrose and hydroxy methyl furfural in honey.
• Anabolic residues in animal tissues.
• Food coloring in food items, typically consumed by children.
• Analysis of Acrylamides in food.
Agriculture and Biotechnology
In the areas of agriculture and biotechnology, KISR specializes in cell and tissue-culture technologies, chemical engineering, plant breeding, and integrated farming systems. Some of the services KISR’s biotechnology laboratories offer include:
• Analysis of plant tissues, soils, fertilizers, agricultural products, and natural and synthetic animal feeds for nutrients, e.g., K, P. N. Zn. Cu, and B in soil, plants and fertilizers. Read more…
• Ca, and P in chicken feed.
• Exchangeable cations, available nutrients, organic matter, metals, gypsum, lime, sulfate, pH, and analysis of EC of soil and soil extracts.
• Analysis of plants for carbohydrates, metals, fat, protein, fiber C, H and N.
• Analysis of fatty acids in fish and shrimp diets.
Petroleum and Petrochemicals
KISR’s laboratories provide expertise in the analysis of petroleum oils and products. Analytical activities cover the characterization of crude oils by GC, GC/MS, NMR (1H, 13C), NIR and FTIR; determination of the composition of petroleum products; group and individual separation and determination of n- and iso-paraffin, naphthene and aromatic hydrocarbons.
Also covered are the determination of sulfur compounds, elemental C, H, N, S analysis and determination of trace metals like V, Ni and metal additives in petroleum products.
The composition and structural analysis of refining catalysts are developed and analyzed with an Elemental Analyzer, Scanning Electron Microscopy (SEM), Electron Probe Micro Analyzer (EPMA), X-Ray Fluorescence (XRF) and X-Ray Diffraction (XRD).
Oil reservoirs core and fluid characterizations analyzed through routine and advanced techniques such as PVT, Corrosion Failure Investigation, Polymers are characterized by GC/MS, IR fingerprinting, Fluorescence and NMR.
• Biomarker fingerprinting for petroleum crudes.
• Characterization of carbonaceous deposits on spent catalyst by solid state NMR.
Metallurgy, Geology and Engineering
KISR’s laboratories provide analyze alloys; structural, building and specialty steels; and industrial and engineering raw materials like minerals and rocks, clays, sand, limestone, gravels and cement.
Physicochemical properties are determined and detailed morphological characterizations (topographic and compositional) are made of the surface texture of solid inorganic industrial and engineering materials like steels, alloys, concrete, clinkers and asbestos-cement. Geological materials like minerals and rocks are characterized by scanning electron microscopy (SEM), and X-ray diffraction (XRD). Such materials are also analyzed using electron probe microbe analyzer (EPMA) and X-ray fluorescence (XRF).
Textile and Industrial Materials
Fabric and textile materials are analyzed for fiber type and composition. Industrial chemicals are analyzed for chemical composition, while various plastic materials are analyzed for leachable toxic elements. Industrial resins and polymers are identified and characterized.
Quality Assurance to provide accurate analytical data for its clients, KISR's analytical services are controlled through a quality control and quality assurance unit. All analytical methodologies and analytical systems are regularly checked for accuracy, precision and reproducibility by the analysis of certified reference standards and participation in inter-laboratory comparison programs.
Request a Service
Please contact the concerned research center or sector to request a service