The Commercialization Division (CD) encourages and facilitate commercially viable innovations at KISR in partnership with industry experts and the scientific community.
As stewards of Kuwait’s scientific heritage, KISR conducts research to improve the livelihood and quality of life of Kuwait’s residents. The commercialization of that know-how demonstrates KISR’s innovative potential and its ability to compete in a global scientific and economic ecosystem. Our role encompasses the identification, due protection and valuation of KISR’s intellectual property, as well as their due transfer to the marketplace through a variety of engagement models with government agencies and private sector entities.
To become the a dynamic commercialization entity capable ad delivering an efficient and effective pipeline of revenue-generating assets that contribute to Kuwait’s economic and industrial development.
Role and scope
The Commercialization Division’s role is national; it covers all stages of the commercialization process:
- Opportunity identification - Includes opportunity gathering and prediction
- Assessment and planning - Includes protection, exploration, valuation, funding, business planning, and incubation of commercially viable technologies
- Exploitation – In close collaboration with investors, funders and policy makers we identify appropriate routes including spin-out, licensing, joint ventures, and sale
The CD team is involved in a variety of activities to support KISR vision in achieving its tech transfer vision, including:
- Identifying innovation and potential IP by directly communicating with inventors and the research community within KISR.
- Establishing the most appropriate method for IP protection, including filing for patent applications, registering trademark, or recording and securing “know-how”.
- Managing patent portfolios, from invention disclosure to patent maintenance and foreign filing.
- Valuation and technology assessment for the generated IP.
- Developing business plans for commercially viable technologies, including financial analyses, market analyses and technical assessments.
- Establishing licensing strategies and engaging in license negotiations.