The Commercialization Division (CD) encourages and facilitates commercially viable innovations at the Kuwait Institute for Scientific Research (KISR) in partnership with industry experts and the scientific community.
As stewards of the scientific heritage of Kuwait, KISR conducts research to improve the livelihood and quality of life of the country's residents. Commercialization of know-how demonstrates KISR’s innovative potential and the Institute’s ability to compete in a global scientific and economic ecosystem. The role encompasses identification, due protection, and valuation of KISR’s intellectual property (IP), as well as its due transfer to the marketplace through a variety of engagement models with government agencies and private sector entities.
To become a dynamic commercialization entity capable of delivering an efficient and effective pipeline of revenue-generating assets that would contribute to Kuwait’s economic and industrial development.
Role and Scope
The Commercialization Division’s role is countrywide; it covers all stages of the commercialization process, such as the following:
- Opportunity identification - Includes opportunity gathering and prediction.
- Assessment and planning - Constitutes protection, exploration, valuation, funding, business planning, and incubation of commercially viable technologies.
- Exploitation – In close collaboration with investors, funders, and policy makers, identifies appropriate routes, including spin-out, licensing, joint ventures, and sale.
The CD team is involved in a variety of activities to support KISR in achieving its technology transfer vision, including, but not limited to the following:
- Identifying innovation and potential IP by directly communicating with inventors and the research community within KISR.
- Establishing the most appropriate method for IP protection, including filing for patent applications, registering trademark, or recording and securing ‘know-how’.
- Managing patent portfolios, from invention disclosure to patent maintenance and foreign filing.
- Valuation and technology assessment for the generated IP.
- Developing business plans for commercially viable technologies, including financial analysis, market analysis, and technical assessments.
- Establishing licensing strategies and engaging in license negotiations.
Invention Disclosure Form (425.5 KB)
Innovation Brief - Issue No 8 (17.9 MB)
KISR Patents 2019-2020 (2.3 MB)
KISR Patents Table 2010-2021 (683.0 KB)